The Tawbah of Al-Fudayl Ibn Iyaad

Monday, October 19, 2009

Adh-Dhahabî describes Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd as an Imâm, an example, and Shaykh Al-Islaam.

He is renowned as one of the pious Salaf, and many wise and inspiring statements are related from him. Allâh have mercy on him. Here is the story of how he made tawbah.


Al-Fadl Ibn Mûsâ reports:
Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd used to be a highway robber, between Abyûrd and Sarkhas. He was in love with a girl, and the cause of his repentance was that he was once climbing a wall to meet her when he heard someone reciting the following verse:

"Has not the time come for those who believe, that their hearts should be humbled and submitted (to Allah)…?  [Al-Hadeed: 16]

When he heard this, Al-Fudayl said, “Indeed my Lord, it is time.” 


So he left, and seeking a night’s shelter he found himself at some ruins, and there he saw some travelers. Some of them said, “We should move on.” Others said, “Wait until morning, Al-Fudayl operates in this area, he will rob us.” Al-Fudayl said, “So I thought and said to myself: I spend the night in sin and there are some Muslims here who fear me; I think that Allah only led me to them so that I might take lesson and stop what I am doing. O Allah! I have repented, and as part of my tawbah I will live next to Al-Bayt Al-Harâm (in Makkah).”

-Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd.

0 comments:

Post a Comment