By Allah, I Would Not Like That...!

Friday, November 6, 2009

Shaykh Ibn Dhafr al-Makki narrates:

 

When Abu Yazeed Tayfoor 'Isa al-Bstaami (rahimahullah) memorised "O you wrapped in garments! Stand (to pray) all night, except a little." He said to his father, 'O father, who is it that Allaah says this to?' He said, 'O son, that is the Prophet.' He then said, 'O father, why is it that you don't do what the Prophet (s) did?' He said, 'O son! The night prayer is exclusive to him and not his nation.' So he (the young boy) remained silent.

 

Then when he memorised "Verily, your Lord knows that you do stand (to pray at night) a little less than two-thirds of the night, or half the night, or a third of the night, and so do a party of those with you", he said, 'O father, I hear that a group used to stand (in prayer) in the night. Who is this group?' He said, 'O son! They are the companions (radhiallahu 'anhum).' So he said, 'O father, what good can there be in abandoning what the Prophet (s) and the companions used to do?' He said, 'You are correct, O son.'

So his father thereafter stood to pray by night.

Abu Yazeed woke one night when his father was praying and he said, 'O father, teach me how to wash and pray with you.' His father said, 'Lie down O son, for you are still young.' He said, 'O father if on the Day that mankind will proceed in scattered groups that they may be shown their deeds, I say to my Lord 'I said to my father how do I wash so that I may pray with you and he refused saying 'Lie down O son, for you are still young.' - Would you like that?' His father said, 'No my son, by Allaah I would not like that.'

So he taught him and he used to pray with him thereafter.



0 comments:

Post a Comment