The Dukeness of Imam an-Nawawi (Rahimahullah)

Friday, November 6, 2009

Shaykh Yaseen al-Murraakshi:

"I saw the Shaykh (al-Nawawi) in Nawa when he was 10 years old and the children used to force him to play with them. He would flee from them and cry because of their persistence and he would recite Qur'an in that state. He said, 'So love for him entered my heart.' His father made him work in a shop but the buying and selling didn't busy him from the Qur'aan.

He said, 'So I came to the one who used to teach him Qur'aan in order to advice him & I said to him, "This child, it is hoped that he will become the most knowledgeable in his time and the most ascetic, and that the people will benefit from him." So he said to me, 'Are you a fortune-teller?' I said, 'No, but Allaah has made me say this.' So he mentioned that to his father and he encouraged him (al-Nawawi) & persisted until he memorised the Qur'aan whilst not having reached puberty.



[Tabaqat al-Shafi'iyyah: 396/8-397]


0 comments:

Post a Comment